Flash game silently installs a keylogger
The Dell SonicWall Threats Research team has discovered a malware posing as a game. To remain discrete to unsuspecting users, this malicious software uses the following icon:
Upon execution the malware drops the following files:
- %Temp%Install.exe [Detected as GAV: Agent.BIRT (Trojan)]
- %Temp%dog & cat.exe (non-malicious flash game file)
It then launches the flash game.
And also silently executes Install.exe which installs a popular commercial keylogger and creates the following files:
- %APPDATA%SMDQDKIJE.exe [Detected as GAV: Ardamax.M (Trojan)]
- %APPDATA%SMDQDKIJE.01 [Detected as GAV: Ardamax.NBQ_8 (Trojan)]
- %APPDATA%SMDQDKIJE.02 [Detected as GAV: Ardamax.NBQ_7 (Trojan)]
In order to start after reboot the malware adds the following key to the registry:
- HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun [ije start] "%APPDATA%SMDQDKIJE.exe"
Keylogger log files are saved in the following location:
- %APPDATA%MEMWeb_yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss.html (web activity log )
- %APPDATA%MEMKeys_yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss.html (key strokes)
- %APPDATA%MEMApp_yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss.html (running processes)
- %APPDATA%MEMScreen_yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss.jpg (screenshots)
These are then periodically sent to a remote ftp server:
Below is an example of what kind of information is sent over to the remote server:
Log files are subsequently deleted from the victim's machine after successful data transfer.
We urge our users to always be vigilant and cautious when downloading and installing any application particularly if you are not certain of the source.
Dell SonicWALL Gateway AntiVirus provides protection against this threat with the following signatures:
- GAV: Poison.BL (Trojan)
- GAV: Agent.BIRT (Trojan)
- GAV: Ardamax.M (Trojan)
- GAV: Ardamax.NBQ_7 (Trojan)
- GAV: Ardamax.NBQ_8 (Trojan)